A smile is happiness you’ll find right under your nose.
It’s time for another edition of Favorite Quote Friday! Each week since the beginning of this blog, I have brought you some of my favorite quotes from authors, motivational speakers, and others. For a while now I have thought that Favorite Quotes Friday should have its very own blog. Well, my babies, it’s going to happen! Stay tuned for details about when and where Favorite Quotes Friday is moving to.
Now on to today’s post…
“Improving the world, one smile at a time”
Today is World Smile Day. This day was created by the late Harvey Ball (1921-2001), the Massachusetts artist who created the iconic yellow smiley face in 1963. Ball wanted people to use the first Friday of every October for random acts of kindness that will hopefully bring smiles to people’s faces.
Shortly after Ball’s death, the Harvey Ball World Smile Organization was set up to honor him and continues to sponsor activities that promote acts of kindness.
Things YOU Can Do to Make Someone Smile
Below are a list of 10 simple things you can do to lift someone’s spirits and even put a smile on your face. Why don’t you take some time out today and pick one (or even all) of these things. You will thank yourself for it. I promise you.
- Volunteer to read to or even just talk to a resident at a retirement a retirement home.
- Bake cookies (or muffins, or fudge, or pies, etc.) and give them to your neighbors. Be creative with it—put them in a gift basket or a pretty tin, or something homemade.
- Volunteer to rake leaves or clean the house of an elderly neighbor or family member.
- Pay the grocery bill of the person standing in front of you at the supermarket.
- Send your best friend a handwritten letter telling them how much you appreciate their friendship.
- Volunteer to babysit a family member or friend’s children so they and their spouse can have a “date night.”
- Buy a stuffed toy for a sick child in the hospital.
- Compliment a random stranger on the street.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen/food pantry.
- Smile at someone, anyone, and tell them to have a nice day.
Find Happiness Right Under Your Nose!
Have you ever felt lousy and depressed all day long, thinking things are never going to improve for you…only to have your mood change in an instant when you felt a smile creep up on your lips? I know it can’t be just me!
Actor/standup comedian Tom Wilson is right. A smile is happiness you’ll find right under your nose. There’s no excuse to be a deadpan Debbie Downer all the time. If you do nothing but sit around and be negative, it stands to reason you will never find happiness. Ever. You have to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and smile in the face of adversity.
If you want to find happiness, just look under your nose and turn up the corners of your mouth. Then go out and do one of the things I have listed above, and keep on smiling while you are doing it! Smile until it feels like your face is going to break off into a million pieces…then relax for a minute, rub your cheeks, and then start smiling again. People might look at you like you’re an escaped patient from the mental hospital, but who cares?
Happy World Smile Day!
- The smiley emoticon turns 30 🙂 (ibnlive.in.com)
- don’t worry….. smile and be happy (randomthortz.com)